Thursday 23 December 2010

The Ghost of Christmas Past

Merry Christmas!!
Ever since I can remember December's been my favourite month of the year. I admit my opinion might be biased given that my birthday is in the month. Nevertheless a huge chunk of the human race has got to side with me on the fact that nothing brings about a hint of joy quite like Christmas cheer. I have had the fortune (or misfortune as the case may be) of celebrating Christmas with so many different groups of people and in so many different places. This Christmas too is with a new family. God bless their hearts for taking me in! More on how that went later.
My earliest memories of Christmas are the years we spend in Saudi Arabia as kids. While I'm sure that country has a lot of traits going for it, one thing it really doesn't do well is religious tolerance. And I’m not talking about frowned-upon-at-the-country-club sort of intolerance. I'm talking about an off-with-your-head attitude towards outsiders. Ok, I exaggerate, but things could get real bad real soon if you ended up on the wrong side of the religious police force. In spite of this, Amma always made sure there was a tree in the house at the very least. No bright lights and stars on the outside like would be accustomed to growing up here in North America or back home in India. I remember the makeshift nativity scene we built from a farm animal set. There were always presents! A double whammy for me because I knew a few days later I would get my birthday presents. And the cakes she would make. I could devote a really large post just explaining the different cakes amma's created over the years. Drool...
The next few years were spend in different cities in India, each season holding special memories. There were the Christmas stars in more colours and shapes than I could possibly list here. One of the best holidays I remember having as a kid was when my elder cousin got married in December. This brought the whole extended family around which meant good times with the gang. And a great deal of goodies from the land of wonders that was 'Persia'. There was no dearth of mischief we could get into. The more the merrier indeed!
After high school, I moved away from home and the opportunities to spend Christmas at home became few and far between. It's such a sinking feeling, realizing that this is the harsh reality of growing up. No more putting-up-the-tree day. No more secret meetings with my brother to decide who gets what this year. People change. Only because they have to and not because of some need to spend this time of the year away from the ones closest to their hearts. Places change, faces change... some old faces and some new friendships. Gifts get more expensive and decorations get grander. But the ghost of christmas past will forever haunt me. My heart will always long for the days when happiness meant having a tree in the house (even if it's one on the wall made of lights because the house was too small to fit in a tree!) and knowing I’d wake up with my father, my mother and my brother with me. I miss my home right now and my heart goes out to anyone who might be spending these holidays away from theirs. And for all those fortunate enough to be with the ones that matter the most, I do envy you lot. Enjoy these festive times responsibly for you too will miss them when they're gone. Feliz Navidad my friends!! Have an awesome Christmas!

2 comments:

Imprints Of A Totterer said...

Merry Christmas 2 u 2 Dude & On a side note...U look much cuter now than when u were a Kid, LOL!!!

FlyBoy said...

Haha.. thanks.. i guess!! hope you had an awesome christmas too!!