Tuesday 9 November 2010

Taking Flight

People always ask me what it is that got into my head and made me drop out of business school and decide that I want to fly for a living. And however much I think about it, I cannot come up with one single reason for my decision. It may have been that voice in my head. Don't laugh, we've all got a voice in our heads - mine sounds like Bob Dylan and has an affinity for junk food. I like to think of it as my thinking voice. It may have been the slow poison that was my MBA life. I'm not really the guy you would turn to for presenting a new product or to balance your books, mostly because I can't really be bothered with it. You may ask why I got into it in the first place, but that is another story for another day.
Whatever the reason, what I can tell you for sure is that I'm finally doing something that I truly enjoy. Isn't that the whole point of life anyway? Do what you like and like what you do and all that. Flying is such a surreal experience in itself. I don't think that any amount of poetry or praise could do it justice in my eyes. I enjoy flying in the same way an artist might enjoy a Monet or a wine taster might enjoy, well, a good wine. It fills up my senses, in a good way - not the kind of sensory overload that one might experience at a euro-club on techno night. Taking off might be the simplest part of flying. But there is such a sense of accomplishment when those wheels lift off of the runway. A good landing never fails to bring a smile to my face (and contrary to popular belief I have had quite a few of those). Flying through the mountains and over pristine lakes under clear skies is truly a state of nirvana no amount of cross legged meditation can achieve. It’s just you and the sky around you with the comforting hum of the engine floating in through the padded headset. And there’s so much more to it. More than I could ever hope to put down in mere words.  
The cherry on top? The thought that I could get paid to do this. I can really have my cake and eat it too. And what a sinfully delicious cake this has turned out to be so far.   

3 comments:

Imprints Of A Totterer said...

Anish...too much of cake could lead to Diabetes,LOL... and when did Bob Dylan kidnap ur mind, Mr.Flyboy hehehe...By the way even tho they r good, u do realize that ur givin ammunition to all to pull ur leg rite by putting up Blogs???

magiceye said...

very well written
enjoyed reading

FlyBoy said...

thanks!! :)